28.03.2024, 09:29 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
jebus197
Titel: Setting the Default Notebook Sound Card?  BeitragVerfasst am: 17.12.2006, 06:53 Uhr

Anmeldung: 26. Nov 2006

Hi I have a Toshiba Satellite A100-225 laptop and am having problems with sound.

Anyway the thing is that my laptop has onboard sound which is an Intel HD Audio Chip (which I believe is based on a Realtek design). The chip for this card is called snd_hda_intel. However I also have an Audigy 2 ZS PCMCIA notebook card. The driver for this card is called snd_emu10k1.

Originally with both cards active my Intel HDA card was being loaded as the default card. This was relatively easy to resolve (though not as easy as it should be) by following these guides:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=282175

http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/sound.htm

This essentially involved entering the following code:

options snd_emu10k1 index=0
options snd_hda_intel index=1

Into these files:

/etc/modutils/options

/etc/modprobe.d/sound

In order to cause my Audigy card to be loaded first. (Which is my preference)

The first of these guides didn't work - however the second did - and my Audigy card is now listed as the default card under Kmix in KDE.

However unfortunately the *majority* (and by majority I mean all of KDE, all of my Media Players, the event notification system and pretty much everything really, is still defaulting to trying to playback via the onboard Intel HDA chip.

There are a couple of applications I can configure (like LastFM player) and tell them to explicitly use my Audigy card - and if I can do this the sound does play back normally and as expected.

However there are only a very few applications that will allow me to select my audio device in this way - and in any case, it is far from ideal as the ideal scenario would clearly to be able to use the Audigy card as my default system wide audio playback device - rather than just having a few applications use it, while the rest of the system uses the Intel chip.

There are a couple of conditions that might be wort considering in my attempts to get my set up to work.

Firstly I cannot simply turn the Intel chip off in my bios - as my laptop will not allow this. (I guess it was never envisaged that I might use a different sound card). Nor is this quite a solution as it does not resolve the ordering and default device dilemma that I am facing now. Secondly I cannot simply remove the module from /etc/modules so that it does not get loaded when I reboot - since most hardware detection is now done by HAL. Nor can I compile my kernel to remove the driver - as this has the undesirable effect of meaning that I cannot use my Intel chip at all. Nor would I want to do any of this - as there are several scenarios - where for example I may wish to remove my Audigy PCMCIA card and insert a TV card, or insert a PCMCIA SATA card (so that I can load an alternative OS) and still have sound without having to hack through various configuration files.

So predominantly all I want is to set my Audigy card as the default system wide card that all my applications will default to and my Intel chip as the fall back card that my system will revert to if the Audigy card is removed.

Can anyone suggest how I might achieve this?

I originally presumed that the above methodology would have achieved this, but this does not seem to have been the case. (And yes I did reboot after making these changes).

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
Kano
Titel: RE: Setting the Default Notebook Sound Card?  BeitragVerfasst am: 17.12.2006, 11:35 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003

echo blacklist snd_hda_intel > /etc/modprobe.d/no-hda_intel

jebus197
Titel: RE: Setting the Default Notebook Sound Card?  BeitragVerfasst am: 17.12.2006, 11:56 Uhr

Yeah Kano, but wont that blacklist my hda_intel chip?

For the reasons described above (namely sometimes I may want to swap out my PCMCIA card and maybe put in a TV card, or a SATA card or whatever) I would like to still have two cards enabled and to be able to quickly switch between them.

I don't want to make comparisons - but right now it's the only valid one I have - but if I wanted to switch between cards in Windows XP it is as simple as opening sound and audio devices in control panel and selecting the system wide default sound device from an applet with a drop down menu.

Ideally there should be something like this in KDEControl too - which is capable of setting the system wide default audio device - without needing to hack a bunch of obscure config files. (Well they are not so obscure to me, but hopefully you will understand what I am saying). Anyway regardless of this I will happily take any solution I can find right now. In the above described scenario, as I said I can hear sound from my Audigy card, so long as I can tell applications to specifically use it. However this is not always possible as it is not always possible to explicitly specify which card to use in this way. Essentially I tend to use the Audigy card when at home - and the HDA Intel chip when I am on the move - since it is more practical not to have to carry too many extra things around.

Kano
Titel: RE: Setting the Default Notebook Sound Card?  BeitragVerfasst am: 17.12.2006, 15:22 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003

You can switch with

alsaconf

jebus197
Titel: RE: Setting the Default Notebook Sound Card?  BeitragVerfasst am: 17.12.2006, 20:43 Uhr

Yeah funnily enough alsaconf isn't working for me. Which package will I generally find that in? As far as I can tell I already have all of the alsa related packages already installed - but I guess I could have missed something.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.